How to get rid of "Press any key to continue . . ." message?

Please use this Board for QBasic related requests ( file research, programming, etc.)

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

Polda18
How to get rid of "Press any key to continue . . ." message?

Post by Polda18 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Hello. I'm trying to make full screen program in text mode only (a testing program using just text features to paint graphics like window borders, menus, fields, etc.) It should be written in entire screen (window), but the ever present "Press any key to continue . . ." text is spoiling it by shifting the screen off by 2 rows up. It's pretty interesting and strange that it shifts only frame border, everything else (window caption, menu items, etc.) seems to be intact. It's pretty annoying and want to get rid of it. Nothing seems to help. I just want to make the message gone. Leave the behaviour to stop on the last screen, but get rid of the message and of course the shifting only.

Is that possible? I'm using QuickBasic 4.5 in DOSBox (that QB version with compiler)...
When you feel the worst ever, turn facing to the sun and all shadows shall pass behind you.” — John Lennon

Polda18

Re: How to get rid of "Press any key to continue . . ." message?

Post by Polda18 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:59 pm

I just tried to compile EXE and it seems the shifting doesn't relate to QuickBasic as it shifts also in compiled executable. I want it to reach the very bottom of the screen. How to do it?
When you feel the worst ever, turn facing to the sun and all shadows shall pass behind you.” — John Lennon

Cobramil

Re: How to get rid of "Press any key to continue . . ." message?

Post by Cobramil » Sun May 28, 2017 1:54 am

Try to concatenate the video impressions (;), especially the last two lines. For example: PRINT "└───┘";
Note that you have a concatenation (;) at the end. This forces the cursor to wait without moving to the next line, which would force the compiler to suspend the last two lines.
Right after the print command of one of the last two lines, move the cursor to any location above the last two lines. For example: PRINT "└───┘"; : LOCATE 1, 1
To avoid the phrase "Press any key to continue ...". Put a hold on it. For example:
PRINT "└───┘"; : LOCATE 1, 1 : DO : LOOP UNTIL INKEY$ <> ""