Internet server in BASIC

Please use this Board for QBasic related requests ( file research, programming, etc.)

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

foxmulder4055
Internet server in BASIC

Post by foxmulder4055 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm writing an Internet/communications server in QB. Believe it or not, its actually coming along smoothly and I'm doing this as a hobby in my spare time. Its sorta cross between the old KA9Q/FNOS software and the old Renegade BBS software. I plan to release it as open source when done. A website is being set up shortly where all of you can participate in its developement.

Its going to be sortof like the old BBS software, where you can login, post messages, download files and play door (MUD) games. Except that mine will host and serve web-based connections. The program is essentially a multi-tasker written in QB that serves many different ports at once. I'm also planning to do this without the use of winsock.dll or any other components. This is strictly going to be a DOS-based web server.

My problem is, I need a library or assembly-language source code that handles the actual network card inside the computer. Given that this is all DOS-based, its basically an interface between the network cards' TSR packet driver and QB itself. Any feedback or direction would be appreciated. There used to be an NIC libary floating around the 'net, now I can't find it anymore...

My goal is to have a fully-functional DOS web server that I can show off as exploiting the power of QB and what can *really* be done with it. :D

*Nick*