DOSBox 0.63, BASIC, QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP

Please use this Board for QBasic related requests ( file research, programming, etc.)

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

Ralph
QBasic God
DOSBox 0.63, BASIC, QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP

Post by Ralph » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:19 am

Dr_Davenstein, I decided to start a new thread here, with the DOSBox.exe subject, to try to help others that are having problems with running the Subject type of programs with Windows XP.

I went to the site you recommended, namely,

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosb ... irror=kent

downloaded DOSBox.exe, Version 0.63, and am very happy with it. It loads very nicely and works very well indeed.

Of course, it isn't "perfect", even though it nearly is! About the only problem I have encountered in its use so far is that I don't seem to be able to use my old "quick-keys" methods for highlighting (Shift+Arrow), or for cutting, copying and pasting (Shift+Delete, Ctrl+Insert, and Shift+Insert). To carry out these functions, I must select by using the cursor, then use the Main Menu's File, Cut, Copy and Paste, all of which slow me down considerably. Is there any hope that the quick-keys will be implemented in the near future?

I hope that this post will be of great help to those of you with Windows XP and BASIC-type graphics programs.
Ralph. Running QuickBASIC Version 4.5, Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2, and HP LaserJet 4L printer.

Buff1

Post by Buff1 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:44 am

Is this "DosBox" from Perfect Sync ?

If it is, their current version is at 1.11

I have Console Tools, Graphics Tools from them and they are quite good
plus they work closely with PowerBasic.

Ralph
QBasic God

Post by Ralph » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:12 pm

No, Buff1, as you can see from my original post, it was not downloaded from Perfect Sync. Furthermore, I indicated that what I downloaded is DOSBox Version 0.63.

Now, in using it, besides the quick-key methods that I cannot use, I just found out that the LPRINT command apparently doesn't connect with my default printer, but, while I'm in Microsoft Word 97, operating under Windows XP, I have no trouble.

Dos Perfect Sync's version 1.1 of DOSBox.exe take care of the above problems? If so, I'll be hurrying to download that version.

Regards,

Ralph
Ralph. Running QuickBASIC Version 4.5, Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2, and HP LaserJet 4L printer.

buff1

Post by buff1 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:36 am

I've not really used P.S. DosBox except to see it a few years ago, so
can't say if it will fix the problems, however, DosPrint will allow you to
print to any printer. I use the windows version Dllprint.

Never used Lprint personally unless it was some sort of quick test of
something. Instead, always open printer as a file. That gives you access
to LPT1-3 in a MS-DOS environment.

Anyway, you can find links to Perfect Sync and to Lance's DosPrint
(Lance used to work for PowerBasic as a tech) at PowerBasic.com

Ralph
QBasic God

Post by Ralph » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:16 am

Buff1, I tried, in QuickBASIC running in the DOSBox environment:

OPEN "LPT1:" FOR OUTPUT AS #1, and it gave me, "Device unavailable"

LPRINT "TEST", and it gave me, "Device unavailable"

By the way, my HP LaserJet 4L is connected to LPT1:

Any other suggestsions? Maybae the good Dr will come to the rescue again?

buff1

Post by buff1 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:29 am

If your printer is a "window-only" printer (bad choice) then the open statement might react that way, otherwise it should be ok.

open "LPT1:" for output as #1
print #1,"Hello"
print #1,chr$(12)
close #1

buff1

Post by buff1 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:31 am

Also, be sure you have dos capture option set for that printer.
(mycomputer>printers)

Ralph
QBasic God

Post by Ralph » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:38 am

In your second-to-last post, you wrote this small program:

open "LPT1:" for output as #1
print #1,"Hello"
print #1,chr$(12)
close #1

and thought it should run fine. But, no, using stepping, at the first intent of running the first line, I get the "Device unavailable", so, that's that!

In you last post, you wrote:
buff1 wrote:Also, be sure you have dos capture option set for that printer.
(mycomputer>printers)
I don't understand your "dos capture option", as I am running under Windows XP. When I go to Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, I see my HP LaserJet 4L as the default printer.

I bought this printer new on 12/23/94 as my Christmas present to myself. It has worked fine with all the MS operating systems that I have had, of which I remember Windows 95 and 98. Recently, I bought a new computer, and it comes with Windows XP. I have no problem printing with MS Word and MS Excel, but I don't seem to be able to print wth QuickBASIC running in Windows XP, nor running in the DOSBox.exe Version .63 which I presently have. I'm seriously considering buying PowerBASIC, if I find that all the SCREEN and graphic functions, plus the LPRINT command, run seamlessly in that compiler.

To quote Gary Stout, pwrbasc@warpnet.net, pwrbasc@aol.com: "Since XP is NT based, I don't believe you have direct access to ports". Could this be the problem? I have also read of folks having trouble with QB programs that try to access some port or another, when running Windows XP.

buff1

Post by buff1 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:44 am

Then either, it's a windows-only printer and the operating system is not
allowing a MS-DOS program to access it or

it is not located at 378.

buff1

Post by buff1 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:51 am

There's another possibility if you are running a network.

There is a network command to redirect printer ports.

It's something like
NET LPT1 /SERVER/PRINTERS/HPLASER

where the /server/printers/hplaser is the network location of the printer.

but since im not running a network here, i havent used the command in
a while so my syntax may be off but you can search it out on the net.

Dr_Davenstein
QBasic God

Post by Dr_Davenstein » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:45 am

You could probably send a print command to notepad... I'm not sure if that'll work right through DOS though. :? Give me a sec...
Come check out [url=http://www.freebasic.net/forum/index.php]FreeBASIC[/url]. The syntax is based on QuickBasic, but it expands to use pointers, operator overloading, etc... The list goes on and on!

Ralph
QBasic God

Post by Ralph » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:31 pm

buff1 wrote:Then either, it's a windows-only printer and the operating system is not
allowing a MS-DOS program to access it or

it is not located at 378.
Buff1, thank you for your suggestsions, but...
As to the printer being a "windows-only" printer, as I understand it, printers and all other periferals are what they are, and the manufacturer usually creates a series of programs, or "drivers", that act as "translators" between the operating system and the periferal. So, maybe my current drivers are Windows XP Home Edition based, and are not suitable for DOS?

As to the printer "not locaed at 378", well, I don't know what you mean. And, how does one go about finding out if it IS located at 378?

And, in your next post, you suggest that I am possibly running a network. No such luck, I am very straight-forward in my computer use. I have a computer, keyboard, monitor, loudspeakers and a mouse, not counting my printer.

Dr_Davenstein, I opened Notepad in Windows XP, wrote Test 2 on it, and did a File, Print, and I got the printout O.K. Then, I ran DOSBox, and entered the following three lines
mount c c:\windows
c:
Notepad
and got the message, "This program cannot be run in DOS mode". So, no luck with my current Notepad.exe Version 5.1. :(

buff1

Post by buff1 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:30 am

378 is the traditional port address for LPT1

Start>Settings>control Panel>System>Device Manager Tab

Ports (Com and LPT) >Printer Port(LPT1)>properties>Resources>Input/Output Range

Should have 378-37F

buff1

Post by buff1 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:37 am

If it's just text, you could print it through notepad.

open "somefile.txt" for output as #1
print #1,"Hello"
close #1
shell "Notepad somefile.txt"

Ralph
QBasic God

Post by Ralph » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:49 pm

Buff1, I got the result, from Device Manager: I/O 0378 037F, which is what you said it should be.

Next, I tried your program in QuickBASIC, running under DOSBox, and got the same answer as when I tried to run Notepad directly under DOSBox, "This program cannot be run in DOS mode". :(