Question regarding QB4.5 and networking

Please use this Board for QBasic related requests ( file research, programming, etc.)

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

Judgedoug
Question regarding QB4.5 and networking

Post by Judgedoug » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:01 pm

Hi everyone!

It's been about 7 years since I last wrote any QB4.5 programs, and recently I've started on a little project. I wanted to know if the gurus on the forum would know if what I'm proposing is plausible... if it is, I'll get cracking and shine up my old rusty QB skills :)

What I want to do is set up 5 old 486 laptop computers in a rudimentary network. I want one computer to have a master program, with the other 4 computers as slaves (with shell programs). Whenever a slave needs to execute something, it has to request permission from the master, and the master sends back all the data the slave would need. The master needs to be able to handle the 4 slaves simultaneously. All data requested from slaves and approved by the master is user-controlled.

So... can I set up a network like this on 486's with QB4.5? Can I use a split serial connection to connect 4 slaves to one master? Can QB4.5 handle 4 different data streams over one serial port?

Here's an example of workflow:

Slave1: Requests Data5
Slave3: Requests Data8
Master: Send Slave1 Data5
Slave2: Requests Data2
Master: Denies Slave3 Data8
Master: Send Slave4 DataItDidntAskFor
Slave3: Rerequests Data8
Master: Send Slave2 Data2
Slave1: Requests Data3
Master: Send Slave3 Data8
...and so on.

Let me know if you think this is possible, and thank you all for any help!

Dr_Davenstein
QBasic God

Post by Dr_Davenstein » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:06 am

You probably talk to a guy named, Plasma, at http://www.qbasicnews.com. Good luck! ;)
Come check out [url=http://www.freebasic.net/forum/index.php]FreeBASIC[/url]. The syntax is based on QuickBasic, but it expands to use pointers, operator overloading, etc... The list goes on and on!