Old program won't load.

Please use this Board for QBasic related requests ( file research, programming, etc.)

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

Hayden.
Old program won't load.

Post by Hayden. » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:33 am

Years ago I wrote a program, took me ages. Anyway somehow I did something to the original Source file and now when I open it in QuickBASIC I can't get into the file it just hangs there.

When I open the file in notepad its encoded through Binary, I can slightly remember something about that, but yeah...

Anyone have any sugguestings?

Valerie

QB file

Post by Valerie » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:11 am

Did you save it in QBasic fast load?. Are you using the same version of QBasic to try to retrieve the file as you used when creating it?

buff1

Post by buff1 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:52 am

For correctness sake.
a program saved in QuickBasic quickload mode cannot be read correctly
by Qbasic since it only reads and saves in text format and not a compressed mode.

Be sure you are not trying to use Qbasic instead of QuickBasic.

If it is, in fact, saved in text mode, try using the dos editor to open it, and
reduce any long lines if possible then resave and try in quickbasic.

The ms-dos editor and the quickbasic editor are basically the same except
with quickbasic it has some extra overhead that may allow you to open it
with the dos editor.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:33 pm

I've tried the versions of QuickBASIC that I had at the teim 4.5 and 7.1 to no avail. I think there may have been a command line flag that I had to set before loading it up...

I've attached the URL to the BAS file in question.

http://www.siberian.mattywired.net/imag ... AGACOM.BAS

Ralph
QBasic God

Post by Ralph » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:51 pm

Hayden:
I downloaded your file. I started QuickBASIC 4.5 (QB), then tried to open your file...QB just hung in there, with the cursor blinking at the top-right location, with a blank page. It froze on me every time.

I opened your file in Wordpad, and found that it was saved as a .bas file, though I can't say what type of BASIC program it will run on. Sorry.

Oh, I even tried to open it in VB, but it reported the file to be a binary file, and my "Working Edition" of VB6 could not load it!
Ralph. Running QuickBASIC Version 4.5, Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2, and HP LaserJet 4L printer.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:06 am

Hey thanks for trying Ralph, thats the exact problem I've been having...

Its possible it could be corrupted, but I've since lost the original source file as it was on a harddrive that has since left my hands.

Buff1

Post by Buff1 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:43 pm

It seems to be in quickload format though I cannot get it to load either.

The first 5 bytes appear to be the same as other files saved in quickload.

Dr_Davenstein
QBasic God

Post by Dr_Davenstein » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:20 am

Weird... You could show it to Plasma, at Phatcode.net... He migh be able to figure out what's up. ;)
Come check out [url=http://www.freebasic.net/forum/index.php]FreeBASIC[/url]. The syntax is based on QuickBasic, but it expands to use pointers, operator overloading, etc... The list goes on and on!