Finding GXSTB graphic library

Please use this Board for QBasic related requests ( file research, programming, etc.)

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

ukoda
Finding GXSTB graphic library

Post by ukoda » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:00 am

Hi folks. I'm trying to update software for an old QuickBasic application but I'm having building the project. It has an include statement for the file 'gxstb.bas' which I have but it appears it's only really a header file so I'm guessing there should be a related library file such as gxstb.qlb. This library appears to offer multimedia support such as VGA graphics and FLC animations etc. My guess is the original programmer had install a support package but omitted to provide those files the customer with the reset of the source code. Has anyone heard of this package and maybe knows where I can get it from?

Thanks in advance :-)

Buff

Post by Buff » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:51 am

Try this. Scroll down to see the old ABC archive packets. There might be something there. (ABC=AllBasicCode)

http://www.uolang.org/sourcecode/abc/abcpacks.html

Even if not there, there is some great code there.

ukoda

Post by ukoda » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:14 pm

Thanks for that info, I checked it but they don't have what I'm looking for. I have done research and managed to find out what I need is GX family of products from Genus Microprogamming Inc but unforunately it looks like they have been out of business for about 12 years. At this stage the best option is to try and reverse engineer the GX library calls API and write a translation layer to use SDL which also would allow me to move to a modern OS.

Valerie

Post by Valerie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:43 am

Genus is mentioned here http://www.dans20thcenturyabandonware.c ... og-dos.txt and there's a link at the bottom of the page for more info. I don't think it's a freebie.

Hope this helps.

V..

ukoda

Post by ukoda » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:50 am

Yep, well spotted, thanks :-) I found him just recently. He had originally mis-spelt Genus as Genius but has corrected it after I contacted him. I'm still evaluating the files they have which look like they may be a subset of what I need. On this occasion paying for the software is not a problem if the prices is reasonable, which it is with them.

Thanks again for your help !