QBasic on Win XP

Please use this Board for QBasic related requests ( file research, programming, etc.)

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

thuongly
QBasic on Win XP

Post by thuongly » Sat Jan 04, 2003 8:49 am

I encountered problems of getting my QBasic program running on Wins XP. There was a message that my basic program can only run in MS-DOS or PC-DOS they did not suggest that My program would :'( not work. However, I found out that Shell command excecuted via QBasic program did not work on Wins XP.

Can you please help me. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

frankiebaby
Global Moderator

Re: QBasic on Win XP

Post by frankiebaby » Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:04 am

The shell command access dos even while a program is already running. XP does not use dos, only emulates. This means it cannot access dos, as it is not really running. So, on win XP, you cannot use shell command.

This is also the reason why many does programs will not run on XP. XP is stupid that way.

Dos has its upsides for working with files, things that windows leaves out. If only Microsoft realized what they gave up....

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:47 am

If it was true, all my programs would not work at all. I am not sure if there is any alternative? Any suggestion?

Thanks

paul_nelson

Post by paul_nelson » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:34 pm

I just tested the SHELL command on an XP box, with QuickBasic 4.5 and it worked fine.......
what I'm having trouble with is reliable serial communications. I'm gonna post a new topic on this problem.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:41 am

The problem was that XP would run SHELL command but the result wil not be completed. For instant, if you use DIR command to get all the files of current directory, if the file names longer than 10 or 20 characters (I cannot remember exact length) it will be truntcated and give you a half-baked result set as it was in my case uselessly.