'87 IBM aid needed

Coding and scripting with FreeBasic, C++, JavaScript etc.

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

~XUS~
'87 IBM aid needed

Post by ~XUS~ » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:32 pm

I am weary with searching the internet for help concerning the IBM computer I recently acquired. I need help. I am absolutely tortured with the idea of using IBM Personal Computer Basic for the rest of my IBM-using life (which won't be long, at this rate). Anyone who has any idea of how to use an '87 IBM (i.e. formatting, and acquiring Windows 3.11 to put on there), or even if you know where I might find a list of commands I can use, or how to use the stupid thing in any way, I IMPLORE you! Please help!

Thanks.
Justly is our impending doom thrust upon us, for mightily did we scar Gaia with our conquest out of laze, and so long coming has been our demise. You have been warned. The anguish is yours. -Aaron-

Dr_Davenstein
QBasic God

Post by Dr_Davenstein » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:04 am

What happens when you turn it on? I mean, what do you see on the monitor?
Come check out [url=http://www.freebasic.net/forum/index.php]FreeBASIC[/url]. The syntax is based on QuickBasic, but it expands to use pointers, operator overloading, etc... The list goes on and on!

~XUS~

Post by ~XUS~ » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:31 am

When I turn it on, it does some sort of disk-check; it reports how many MB are "OK" in increments until it reaches 640. Then, the screen clears and shows an animation of a floppy going into the left floppy drive (there are two floppy drives) on the monitor (the cpu is built into the monitor). At the same time, it shows at the bottom that you can press the F1 key to continue without a floppy (made apparent by two down arrows over a box with "F1" on it). So, due to my lack of a floppy that would mean anything to anyone of the folks at IBM, I hit F1, at which point it leads me to IBM Personal Computer BASIC. The screen clears and displays IBM BASIC's info at the top, then says "OK" and allows me to type.
Unfortunately, IBM BASIC, or so it would seem, cannot do a thing that would prove even remotely useful to a caveman. It recognizes simple BASIC commands, but it's entirely linear; I can make it clear the screen and print "I am a ballerina", but the two commands must be separated by a " : ". That is about as much use as I found for it.
Justly is our impending doom thrust upon us, for mightily did we scar Gaia with our conquest out of laze, and so long coming has been our demise. You have been warned. The anguish is yours. -Aaron-

Dr_Davenstein
QBasic God

Post by Dr_Davenstein » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:49 am

I'm not sure of the exact specs of it, but you should be able to loop by using line numbers...

Code: Select all

10 Num% = Num% + 1
20 Print Num%
30 GOTO 10
I'm sure if you Google around, you can find the specs on the net.

Good luck! It sounds like fun. :P
Come check out [url=http://www.freebasic.net/forum/index.php]FreeBASIC[/url]. The syntax is based on QuickBasic, but it expands to use pointers, operator overloading, etc... The list goes on and on!

~XUS~

Post by ~XUS~ » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:16 am

Thank you for your aid, doctor, though I doubt thoroughly that google will prove as formidable as it has in times past; the computer's too old, I'm afraid. But I shall try that which you suggested.

MiggyD

Holy Cow!

Post by MiggyD » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:47 am

I haven't seen one of those is many many MANY years! Just get rid of it.

If memory servers (which it may not), you should have other commands showing at the bottom...like "Save2" "Load 3"...or something. Is that right?

And, if you type:

10 let Num = 1
20 let num = num + 1
30 print num
40 list

It may actually work?

If so, I'll re-iterate: Just get rid of it.

--MiggyD

buff1

Post by buff1 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:11 pm

Isn't that IBM basic the one that's almost (if not) identical to gwbasic ?
If so, an old msdos manual for basic should help.

Jak

Post by Jak » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:19 pm

Wow! Just found the site by accident and seemed like a nice nostalgia trip. Wasn't expecting quite THIS much nostalgia though :D

Like MiggyD says, it's been a l o n g time!! Can't agree with the "get rid" suggestion though. If you have space for it it's a potential talking point if nothing else. Remember the Smash Mash martians making fun of how "they used to mash potato"? Well, you got the computing equivalent right there!! :P

If you want to get into more (and, frankly, not much more in todays terms) than IBM Basic with it, then you'll have to get hold of OS disks in a suitable format. You could even make it a project and hunt for a suitable HD to install (the Bios should be able to cope with at least 80 Mb!!!)

Didn't play with the hardware side of them much back then, but you should be able to track down a small HD and (if not fitted) controller card. First step would be to search out any specs you can find for the particular model - may accept an ISA IDE card and drive or might need an old MFM (harder to find and I threw one out about 6 months back :( )

Either way, from HD or floppies, you should be able to run MS Dos and QBasic if you can find the software :D