game newbie

Please use this Board for QBasic related requests ( file research, programming, etc.)

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

marko_tomas13
game newbie

Post by marko_tomas13 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:37 am

im making a game in quickbasic and was just wondering what would not be a bad starting point (not too easy not too hard)

i was thinking something like connect 4 (1 and 2 player) or space invaders

any suggestions/ tips greatly appreciated

Dr_Davenstein
QBasic God

Post by Dr_Davenstein » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:24 am

Hmmm... The first game I ever made was a Pong clone. :P
Come check out [url=http://www.freebasic.net/forum/index.php]FreeBASIC[/url]. The syntax is based on QuickBasic, but it expands to use pointers, operator overloading, etc... The list goes on and on!

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:27 am

Dr_Davenstein wrote:Hmmm... The first game I ever made was a Pong clone. :P
ya i created one of those (wasnt anything particularly too great) but it did the job lol

created a pretty budget mario movie with some friends during a boring time in class too lol

any suggestions on the games?

Dr_Davenstein
QBasic God

Post by Dr_Davenstein » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:54 am

Try and make it with as many options(extra points for certain things, etc...) as you can. Make the graphics the best you can... basically, just try to make the best Pong game you've ever seen. :P
Come check out [url=http://www.freebasic.net/forum/index.php]FreeBASIC[/url]. The syntax is based on QuickBasic, but it expands to use pointers, operator overloading, etc... The list goes on and on!

Xus

Post by Xus » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:06 pm

Create some insanely cool, epic RPG. Or, try like a side-scrolling shooter with RPG implications (level-up your reload rate, jumping ability, run speed, etc). That'd be really cool.

Dr_Davenstein
QBasic God

Post by Dr_Davenstein » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:49 am

Space Invaders is a good idea too though. That's also one of the first games I made... as with most people I think. Here's a couple of tips though:

Try to use user defined data types, for instance:

Code: Select all

TYPE EnemyStuff
 X as INTEGER
 Y as INTEGER
END TYPE

Dim Enemy(1 to 10) as EnemyStuff
Then you can use the data like this:

For E = 1 to UBOUND(Enemy)
 Enemy(E).X = E*16
 Enemy(E).Y = 100
Next
I don't know if you already know this stuff, but it's stuff that I didn't know when I first started. ;)

marko_tomas13

Post by marko_tomas13 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:27 pm

I have actually decided to create a Connect 4 game called "Correlate Four" thanks to a lets just say creative friend lol

im starting on that and my biggest worry is how to keep track of connecting four especially in the diagonals

on another topic how does POINT command work?

i know its something like POINT (x,y) but that gives me an expected error

Dr_Davenstein
QBasic God

Post by Dr_Davenstein » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:04 am

You can read the color of a pixel with Point...

PixelColor = Point(X,Y)

As for Storing the data, I'd use an 12x12 Matrix...

Dim Board(1 to 12, 1 to 12) as BoardStuff
Then just do a For...Next loop to check if there are four in a row.

marko_tomas13

point

Post by marko_tomas13 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:00 pm

Ya i used the variable=POINT(x,y) command to find the colour of a pixel (the center of the circle) and then acted accordingly whether it was blue or red. I however did not try putting it into an array to make things easier, as of now its just a bunch of ifs :shock: I will try that with a for next loop to check in the coming days when i am tweaking it...