qb 7.1

Please use this Board for QBasic related requests ( file research, programming, etc.)

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

TraderSven
qb 7.1

Post by TraderSven » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:57 pm

I just downloaded and unzipped PDS 7.1 on a WIN/XP Pro machine.

I tried the un-zipped Short-cut and got a 'QB.pif error - invalid start-up directory, please check your pif file'. How do I check the pif file and fix it?

I went to the MS DOS command prompt - CD'd to my QB 7.1 directory and it opened an old program file correctly. However, I could NOT get the QB-editor to Maximize screen size [full-screen]. Any ideas?

Thx

buff1

Post by buff1 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:25 am

A pif file is basically the MS-DOS answer to a link file (LNK) only has the extension pif. If you put it on the desktop then you can right click on it, go to properties and change the directory (folder) to the one you are using which apparently is different from what was included as the path in the pif file that was included in the zip file.

TraderSven

but ...

Post by TraderSven » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:49 pm

I dont seem to have a QB.pif file :?:

TraderSven

Post by TraderSven » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:50 pm

:oops: The 'shortcut' IS the qb.pif. Updated its properties and ... voila!
Thx

Must I keep my user-application programs in the same directory as the QBASIC 7.1 programs? I had thought that 'Options: Set Paths' might work ... but it doesnt appear to.

Thx again

buff1

Post by buff1 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:09 pm

Generally speaking, it's a good idea to keep the application programs in
the same directory (or subdirectory) of the main program directory.

After compiling, you can place the compiled program anywhere you want as long as you link to the correct path for the exe file.
One Caveat: If you compile it requiring a brun71 run file then brun71.exe will need to be in the same path as the exe. If you compile it as stand-alone, then you will not need the run-time file.

Advantages: Using the run-time file allows smaller programs and the use of chain. Advantageous when multiple programs are used (for example a
business application).

(I am assuming that PDS (QB7.1) works like QB4.5 in this respect.)

Ac3T

Post by Ac3T » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:43 pm

Actually, .pif is a reminance from old Windows <3
Mainly it contains the same data as an .lnk- file
Although, Windows 2000 / XP won't show a .lnk- file other than without the .lnk
But, if you're opening up a CMD- window and cd to any directory containing it, and do a DIR you'll see that extension =0)