qb 4.5 mouse program

Please use this Board for QBasic related requests ( file research, programming, etc.)

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

decker08
qb 4.5 mouse program

Post by decker08 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:39 pm

I need a mouse program that will work in v4.5. If anyone can help me, if would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mac

Re: qb 4.5 mouse program

Post by Mac » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:03 am

decker08 wrote:I need a mouse program that will work in v4.5
Run this program
http://www.network54.com/Forum/178387/m ... 1195161480

Remember the /L

Mac

Ralph
QBasic God

Post by Ralph » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:30 am

Mac, can you translate the Bulgarian words used in the program into English? It would help a lot to understand the program. Thanks.
Ralph. Running QuickBASIC Version 4.5, Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2, and HP LaserJet 4L printer.

Mac

Post by Mac » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:53 pm

Ralph wrote:Mac, can you translate the Bulgarian words
No. I just tried the program as posted and noted that it uses a mouse in QB4.5 and hoped you could figure it out. I was unable to understand the prompts at all and have no idea what the program is good for.

If you are still curious, you could post a query as a reply to the program and maybe he will come back and explain.

Mac

P.S. I avoid QB4.5 or anything except pure QB1.0 or 1.1. So I have mouse solutions for that if you are interested.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/171757/m ... 1181414116

pebe

Post by pebe » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:04 pm

Mac wrote:P.S. I avoid QB4.5 or anything except pure QB1.0 or 1.1. So I have mouse solutions for that if you are interested.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/171757/m ... 1181414116
I have never used QB1.0 or 1.1
I'm curious, why would your program not work in QB4.5?

Mac

Post by Mac » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:45 pm

pebe wrote:
Mac wrote:I have never used QB1.0 or 1.1
You mean the REAL QBasic?? You can download it at
http://www.network54.com/Realm/QBZips/QBZips.html

Anyway, I just tried it with QB4.5 and it works there, too. But if a person only used QB4.5, then it makes sense to use the built-in mouse driver, rather than load a hand-coded version. But if you are a real QBasic hobbiest, then QB1.0 is your language and the mouse driver I posted will solve that problem in all environments.

In QB4.5, you always have to remember that stupid "/L" parameter.

If you store my program as demo.bas, you can call it with
QBasic /run demo

Mac

Ralph
QBasic God

Post by Ralph » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:50 pm

Mac, thanks for the offer via QB 1.1, but, after using the versions leading to 4.5, and then buying 4.5 in 1988, I just opted for staying with the very user-friendly QB 4.5's IDE.

But, Pepe has a valid question, regarding your mouse program for QB 1.1 and its probable compatability with 4.5, so, I'll just wait for your answer.
Ralph. Running QuickBASIC Version 4.5, Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2, and HP LaserJet 4L printer.

pebe

Post by pebe » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:07 pm

Mac wrote:
You mean the REAL QBasic?? You can download it at
http://www.network54.com/Realm/QBZips/QBZips.html
Is that the QB that was supplied with MS DOS - with no compiler?

Mac

Post by Mac » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:40 pm

Ralph wrote:Pepe has a valid question, regarding your mouse program for QB 1.1 and its probable compatability with 4.5
Heh, I must have mumbled when I said I just tested it with 4.5 and it works perfectly.

MOUSE ROUTINE IN MY QB1.0 PROGRAM WORKS THE SAME IN QB4.5. NO DIFFERENCE. 100% COMPATIBLE

Mac

Mac

Post by Mac » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:41 pm

pebe wrote:Is that the QB that was supplied with MS DOS - with no compiler?
Yes. Came bundled in with my WindowsNT.

Mac

Buff

Post by Buff » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:35 am

With QBasic Call absolute is included.

With QuickBasic 4.x,7.x you must load a library containing call absolute
and/or call interrupt/interruptx

The easiest way is to start QB with /L option. This Loads Qb.QLB when
QB is started. It gives you the ability to use Call absolute or interrupts.

There are lots of examples around at many sites

Ralph
QBasic God

Post by Ralph » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:07 pm

Mac, I use Buff's recommendation!
I created my shortcut to qb.exe, right clicked on it, then on Properties, selected the Program tab, and added
/L qb.qlb
so that, in my case, the shortcut points to
c:\basic\qb\qb.exe /l qb.qlb

In this manner, I don't have to worry about loading or not loading the QuickBASIC library, qb/qlb.

Oh, yes, I am addicted to the QuickBASIC 4.5 IDE, which works great for me for my occasional venture into programming. (As you can guess, I am not a professional programmer, perhaps not even an amateur programmer, more of a now and then putterer!)

Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:47 pm

Ralph wrote:I created my shortcut to qb.exe
Glad that works for you.

I am always working from the DOS prompt, so usually I am entering

C>\QBasic > NOTEPAD Z.BAS
(where I edit the program, as I hate the IDE Editor)

After saving, I do
C>\QBasic > QBasic /RUN Z
(which runs it in the IDE as if it were compiled)

So when I venture to 4.5 (always because I am trying to understand someone's 4.5 problem) I migrate to the 45 directory and do

C>\QBasic\QB45 > QB /L /RUN Z

For some reason, it magically knows what library. It just needs /L

I suppose I could make a BAT file
QB /L &1 &2 &3 &4
to do the equivalent, but if I can remember to use the BAT file, I can remember to enter /L.

All different ways to solve the problem. Naturally, the shortcut way wouldn't work for me because, as I said, I am a DOS person and want to do stuff like FIND, NOTEPAD(not DOS but OK), SORT, etc.

Mac

pebe

Post by pebe » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:54 pm

I use the ADVBAS library. It has several routines extra to QB but the one I find most useful is 'IF EXIST' which immediately lets you know if a file is present without generating an error trying to open it if it's missing.

Ralph
QBasic God

Post by Ralph » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:44 pm

Mac, I see that you are just one step away from the root directory to get to your usual QBasic.exe, which you have in C:\QBasic. Also, you then call QBasic /L (if required) etc.

In my case, I always start in my root directory, C:\, just like you. But, I go a little further than you, just because that is the way I organized my files and directories. Since I'm usually in Windows, in my email or one of the forums on the Internet, I have shortcuts in a hidden sidebar, so I just drag my mouse to the side, have the sidebar appear, and click on the appopriate shortcut, which takes me to the appropriate directory and starts the respective program, such as my qb.exe (QuickBASIC 4.5), Excel, Word, MS-DOS Prompt, Calculator, and so on, which really makes life easier for me. Also saves me a lot of typing, not that it bothers me, just that it irks me when I make a little typo in DOS, and have to erase everything back to the typo, then retype the stuf I erased! A shortcut just takes one directly to the program you want to run, and runs it!

Oh, well, as one would say, Different Strokes for Different Folks, ha, ha. Or, perhaps, To Each His Own
Last edited by Ralph on Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.