qb 4.5 mouse program

Please use this Board for QBasic related requests ( file research, programming, etc.)

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

Buff

Post by Buff » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:29 am

Just a comment. The QB45 ide and the DOS Edit are based on the same
program structure (at least originally).

If you use it quite a bit you will get to like it, especially with the ability to
'LOAD' programs and direct access to the help including ascii values that
is handy.

Ralph
QBasic God

Post by Ralph » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:34 am

I've always liked the QuickBASIC 4.5 IDE very much! Yes, all the commands are right there, so is syntax, ASCII codes and SCAN codes. And, as you said, one can load programs from within the IDE and run them very easily. Also, while programming, one may run parts of a program in progras and, with the help of the F8 and F9 keys, trouble shoot quite conveniently. I don't know why you, and other programmers, don't seem to like this IDE; me, I love it!
Ralph. Running QuickBASIC Version 4.5, Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2, and HP LaserJet 4L printer.

Buff

Post by Buff » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:06 am

I should have included this in my comment above.

When I refer to 'LOAD' a program, it is different then 'Opening' a program.
You can have several bas (or other extensions) 'loaded' at the same time.

This enables you to make larger programs than are normally able to be made. This is because the compiler will compile each individually then link them together. So each has the 64k (realistically probably more like 46k)
available to each program.

If you are using multiple programs in a suite, it is usually a good idea to compile with the brun## option too. then include brun##.exe with your programs. This enables you to compile your programs to smaller size with very little loss of speed and the use of common to transfer variables from one program to another.

brun## stands for the brun + version number i.e. for qb4.5 it is brun45.exe

Ralph
QBasic God

Post by Ralph » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:09 am

Well, Buff, as I said, I am not a real programmer, and have never had to make a really large program. The only trouble I ever ran into was updating a BASIC program for electrical networks voltage drops from its 25-bus size to 125 buses.

My first investigation allowed me to change the program to 28 buses, maximum, before running out of memory. Then, I was able to locate an IBM-or was it MS?-program that allowed my QuickBSIC 4.5 to use "far memory" for data, thus enableing me to change the four 25x25 arrays in the program to four 125x125 arrays, by putting them in "far memory". And, the program was a hit!

Before that, and after that, all my programs have been relatively small, and memory has never a problem.
Ralph. Running QuickBASIC Version 4.5, Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2, and HP LaserJet 4L printer.