Windows and older dos quickbasic code

Please use this Board for QBasic related requests ( file research, programming, etc.)

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

pipelineengr
Windows and older dos quickbasic code

Post by pipelineengr » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:54 pm

A little help please. I've been using Quickbasic for many decades now but running dos is getting more difficult with each new computer bought. Which of the new windows friendly codes can most easily suck in a full quickbasic program text file with the least trouble?
Also can the recommended windows routine access full core for matrices?
I need a few opinions. I'm too old a dog for too many new tricks.
All the QB code that I write is for engineering/ scientific applications and will gladly assist any young engineers with their troubles in problem solving.
Rick

Mac

Re: Windows and older dos quickbasic code

Post by Mac » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:28 am

pipelineengr wrote:running dos is getting more difficult with each new computer bought.
Sad, but true. Microsoft obviously plans the day when DOS cannot be used at all. They want to be Apple.

I chose the path of not buying new computers. Have 7 year old Windows NT on a DELL with 500 MHZ and a 2GIG C-Drive, 10GIG E-Drive, both half full.

Runs perfect. Fast. Reliable.

To make sure I never have to mess with it, every month I copy my whole physical hard drive to a different one (same brand/spec) and then I swap and use the new one for the next month. So if my hard drive crashes or get wasted by some supervirus, etc. A quick disk swap and I am up just as at the beginning of the month. (I do daily backups of files like QBasic/WorkDir
and Microsoft Outlook Express directory
and keep it on a ZIP-disk (some device like a floppy)

Mac

Buff

Post by Buff » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:47 pm

You might have a look at powerbasic console compiler.
QB/PBdos like syntax with graphics and full 32bit windows compiler. full access to windows api as well as com programming for the internet.
Their support on the forum is outstanding too.

RickWesh

Post by RickWesh » Mon May 24, 2010 4:34 am

If your looking to use your QB programs in windows, I'd suggest looking at FreeBasic and one of the IDEs that are made for it.

FreeBasic works with QB/PDS/VBDOS programs AND then some.

There is a combo download of FreeBasic and FBIDE that is a great starting point.

Download, install, load your programs and go!

Its a very nice compiler.