4.5 vs 7.1

Please use this Board for QBasic related requests ( file research, programming, etc.)

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

bigbluehacker
4.5 vs 7.1

Post by bigbluehacker » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:33 am

I have been using QB 4.5 for several years and it's great. I also have QBX 7.1 which I have only played with once. What are advantages (and disadvantages) of 7.1 over 4.5? Would I be better learning and using 7.1 for massive number crunching?

DDastardly71

Post by DDastardly71 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:38 pm

PDS 7.1 was originally developed by MS for the commercial sector so it has all the features of QB 4.5 and more. If you have to pick...stay with PDS 7.1.

Some of the benefits of PDS 7.1 over QB 4.5:
- supports both NEAR & FAR strings (QB45 only supports NEAR)
- built-in ISAM database engine but does not support network (QB45 you have to make your own database format or buy a 3rd party engine)
- allows for overlays when developing very large programs (QB45 uses CHAINS)
- has supports for additional libraries, presentation graphics, fonts, date/time, format, financial, and user interface toolbox libraries (QB45 none)
- supports stub files for smaller .exe (QB45 none)
- includes Programmer's Workbench (QB45 none)
- includes BuildRtm for creating custom runtime libraries (QB45 none)
- includes HelpMake to allow you to modify or add to the built-in help system (QB45 none)

NOTE: Do not read the manual by MS to create help files...its worthless. An entire chapter is dedicated explaining how to make a help file but at the end you still don't know how. It only takes a minum of about 5-10 lines to make a help file.

If you have Quick Libraries in QB 4.5, you may have to re-compile them. Quick Libraries in PDS 7.1 are all in FAR string. This is the only issue I see when moving up to PDS 7.1.

bigbluehacker

Post by bigbluehacker » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:35 am

Thanks for the reply...I suspected there were more capabilities in 7.1 than in 4.5...My problem will be that I can't find a comprehensive manual for 7.1...I have a 600-page manual for 4.5 and use it very often when I try something I haven't done before. You mentioned a manual by MS...where can I find one? I've tried Google, Amazon, E-bay, Barnes & Noble, and there's nothing there...any suggestions???

DDastardly71

Post by DDastardly71 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:43 am

I've only been able to find one site that had the PDS 7.1 manual. The only problem is that my hard drive crashed and I lost all my programming links.

The only other option I can see is to purchase PDS 7.1 to obtain the two thick 3 ring binder manuals which can still run you a hefty price.

If I find those links again..I will post it here.

BurgerBytes

Post by BurgerBytes » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:31 pm

PDS should only be used when you need it's newer functions, double number crunching or more memory. Otherwise it adds nothing to a program. It is not compatable with some Qbasic code too. As usual, the Help Index is cryptic too.

I have found that QB4.5 is best for most programs. You can create most of the PDS functions in QB4.5 anyway.
Get my QB demonstrator here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8440706/Q-Basics.zip

RickWesh

Basic PDS 7 Manuals

Post by RickWesh » Mon May 24, 2010 4:18 am

I have an original set of 'Microsoft Basic PDS 7' Manuals!

Two hard binder books.
1) Programmers Guide
2) Basic Language Reference

Sorry no registration card LOL
:D

RickWesh

Post by RickWesh » Mon May 24, 2010 4:26 am

@burgerbytes

QB45 and PDS 7.1 use memory differently, thats why QB programs may crash sometimes. If the memory isn't managed for one or the other model properly that will happen.