Three newbie questions

Please use this Board for QBasic related requests ( file research, programming, etc.)

Moderators:Administrator, Global Moderator

Three newbie questions

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:43 am

Hi, newbie questions here.

1) how do I find what version of QuickBasic I'm using?

I'm running it on DOS on top of Windows 98 and when I start it it says 'copyright Microsoft Corporation 1987-1992'. Right-clicking on the program's icon doesn't give version info, although it gives creation date as 11 May 1998 if this is any help! :-)

2) how can I split the window so that a program's code and its output are shown at the same time?

3) can't manage to cut-and-paste from output onto the Windows 98 clipboard, although can do this from the program code OK.

Cheers,

Chris

frankiebaby
Global Moderator

Re: Three newbie questions

Post by frankiebaby » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:03 pm

1) When you first start quickbasic, look at the bottom before you press anything, the version will be displayed there.

2) You cannot split the window to output AND code, however, you can run the debugger by pressing F8 and going through the code line by line, pressing F4 to see the output at each point.

3) im not sure about the copy and paste part, if it wiorks for source, it should work for output, u just might hafta paste it in mspaint as a bitmap

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:35 pm

1) When you first start quickbasic, look at the bottom before you press anything, the version will be displayed there.

2) You cannot split the window to output AND code, however, you can run the debugger by pressing F8 and going through the code line by line, pressing F4 to see the output at each point.

3) im not sure about the copy and paste part, if it wiorks for source, it should work for output, u just might hafta paste it in mspaint as a bitmap
Many thanks for your help Frankiebaby!

I've tried 2 and it works, even if it will take a bit of getting used to.

On 3, I think I have cracked it. I get QuickBasic in a DOS window, and one of the icons at the top is for 'Mark' which allows selection of part or all of the output. This can then be copied using another of the icons at the top. I don't know how to do this from the keyboard, but the copying appears to be of text to the Windows 98 clipboard, and pasting into Notepad or Word works fine  ;D

On 1, sorry if I am missing something obvious, but where should I look for the version number ??? When it starts up, and before I press anything, all I get is a DOS window with a dialog box on top containing what I quoted (also saying 'Press ESC to clear this dialog box). At the bottom of the window it just says 'F1=Help Enter=Execute' etc. Unless I am going mad no version number is there  :)

Cheers,

Chris

Dr_Davenstein
QBasic God

Post by Dr_Davenstein » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:05 am

You can also find it in HELP/CONTENTS or you can look at the bottom of the screen before you hit any keys or click the mouse.

Quickbasic 4.5 has the line "Version 4.5 Differences"
Quickbasic 7.1 has "QBX Memory and Capacity"

QBasic does not say "Quickbasic" anywhere...so that's QBasic V1.1, and it sucks!  :P

There are some other versions out there, but I've never used them so I don't know. ;D
Come check out [url=http://www.freebasic.net/forum/index.php]FreeBASIC[/url]. The syntax is based on QuickBasic, but it expands to use pointers, operator overloading, etc... The list goes on and on!

chrisn

Post by chrisn » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:01 am

You can also find it in HELP/CONTENTS or you can look at the bottom of the screen before you hit any keys or click the mouse.

Quickbasic 4.5 has the line "Version 4.5 Differences"
Quickbasic 7.1 has "QBX Memory and Capacity"

QBasic does not say "Quickbasic" anywhere...so that's QBasic V1.1, and it sucks!  :P

There are some other versions out there, but I've never used them so I don't know. ;D
Thanks Dr D!

There is no version info at the bottom of the screen before I hit anything. HELP/CONTENTS does not give anything about Version 4.5 Differences or QBX Memory and Capacity, but what it does give under Version Differences is a comparison of features between BASICA/GW-BASIC and QBasic.

Does this clinch it that I have got version 1.1?

I think it's quite cool  :D but haven't seen any other versions so can't compare.

In HELP it is referred to as QBasic, as is true in the title of the program file itself, but the window title says Microsoft QuickBasic.

Anyone know somewhere I can read a detailed history of the versions?

Cheers,

Chris

chrisn

Post by chrisn » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:38 am

I've now (eventually!) found that it does give the version somewhere, under HELP/ABOUT. It's version 1.1.

Chris

Dr_Davenstein
QBasic God

Post by Dr_Davenstein » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:08 am

When I say it sucks, I just mean that QBasic can't create exe files. I would reccomend downloading QuickBasic 4.5 quick, fast and in a hurry!  ;D If you really want to make some neat stuff... QB Libraries are the key. If you already know this then cool! If you don't then feel free to ask. ;D

Go look on my website if you want to see what the libraries do. There are several of my games on the files page. Pacenstein is the most detailed... so far...Mwa Ha Ha!!!! ;)
Come check out [url=http://www.freebasic.net/forum/index.php]FreeBASIC[/url]. The syntax is based on QuickBasic, but it expands to use pointers, operator overloading, etc... The list goes on and on!